Monday, September 21, 2020

Southampton Common

We live about ten minutes walk away from Southampton Common, and when the weather was really nice over the last few weeks, I popped over a few times during my lunch break, and see what I could quickly spot in terms of butter, damsel, and dragonflies. Rather than document each of these 'pops' separately, I decided to combine them into one blog post.

Although butterflies are clearly on the way out, Ornamental Lake still had some dragonfly activity. 

Many common darters, some in ovipositing tandems, and several migrant hawkers chasing each other. One was kind enough to pose until I got a good picture (thanks!). Plus two damselfly species, one of which (blue-tailed damselfly) was a new one for me!

I managed to get hold of a recent list of damsel/dragonflies seen on the Common, and that suggested we should easily be able to see a few new species next year.

Three tables this time (one  = 1; few = 2-4; several = 5-9; many = 10+).




No comments:

Post a Comment